Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Parenting & Weight Loss... Not Letting my own past Poison my Daughters' Self Image

Parenting Moment:
My 14 year old daughter has been my most consistent gym companion (my husband was sick last week and injured this week).  It has been really nice to workout with her and have the opportunity to discuss health, body types, self image, fitness and nutrition.  It has been a good opportunity to discuss the difference between people as well.  Body types, fitness goals & strengths,dietary needs, etc.  She is a vegetarian and has recently chosen to cut out sugar (which led to an almost immediate 100% clearing up of her skin!) and I'm a no grains, Paleo leaning type.  

After growing up and struggling with such a severely messed up self/body image, I love that we can discuss all of these things without it having to be a "fat/skinny/attractive" thing, but a health conscious, individual preference and CHOICE.  I love that. Love it.

I don't claim to have done everything 100% in the parenting department, but I think I've done fairly well in this, and I'm really really proud of my kids for taking the initiative on their own to learn more, make a change in their eating habits and take care of themselves.  They are pretty awesome people, even for *gasp* Teenagers!


Me Moment:

I'm still being good about tracking workouts.  (YAY ME!) You can see how I'm switching things up a little.  To be honest, as far as leg workouts go, I was STILL sore from last Wednesday's leg workout, so I chose to mix things up a little bit.  With the little bit of cardio added in tonight, I was dripping with sweat before we were even half done!


I think its a great thing to mix things up "keep the body guessing" ala Gordon on Dodgeball.  I LOVE that movie:)

No comments:

Post a Comment