Thursday, December 20, 2012

When Working Out Makes you feel Pathetic

Holy shit balls.

So I went to the gym with Patrick tonight... and apparently he sadly over estimated my level of fitness.  He laid out the plan.  I was going to do 10 burpees (after a good warm up), then go hard on the elliptical for 3 minutes, then 10 burpees, then chill and go slow on the elliptical... repeat.

Anyway, I started on the warm up and good lord, the cramps started almost immediately.  Knowing that they tend to fade after a little bit of warm up, I decided to just keep going... and going.  The cramping was getting better until he upped my resistance and incline... and then it got worse.  Hip to toe, it seemed like every single muscle in my legs was knotted up in one hard knot of pain.  I tried going for a little bit and then it felt like I was going to literally tear something it hurt so much.

Patrick was standing there and asked if I was alright (this was literally in less and two minutes) and I said, "I think you are WAY overestimating how out of shape I am!"  He slowed the elliptical and asked what was going on and then told me to stretch.  Even stretching was painful as hell and I had tears running down my face.  Fortunately, I was in a downward dog type position, and I was sweating even more than I was crying, so I doubt anyone else knew, but it felt humiliating anyway.

I felt like a failure.  I had done two pathetic burpees and less than 8 minutes on the elliptical, and 6 of those were just slow warming up!

UGH!!!

Then he set me up on the treadmill and had me go slow for another 5 -10 minutes to warm up more slowly.  He checked on me every once in a while until I was ready to go at a higher pace.

Anyway, even longer story short, I ended up on the treadmill for about 45 minutes total (once I accidentally shut down the thing for a minute and restarted it), but I was really feeling shitty for not even being able to do 2 minutes on the treadmill.  I could see my reflection in the screen (I had forgotten my headphones, so there wasn't even anything to distract me) and I was so thoroughly upset with myself that it was all I could do to now just stand there and cry.

I hate how quick I am to think negatively about myself.  I hate how ingrained this negative self image is.  That may be the hardest part of this journey... learning to truly like myself and believe in myself.

What do you do to fight against that inner voice that is putting you down?

No comments:

Post a Comment